Feel Free To Listen To The Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First Sax Lesson

I had my first saxophone lesson last night at 6:30. We arrived early because the traffic wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. I got to ask the teacher how to play the higher notes. It turned out it was what I thought it was, I was just doing it wrong.

We were able to change the lessons to 3:00 so now I will be able to write about them when I get home (unless Dad won't let me).

He asked me first what i could do, and because I couldn't play the higher notes I told him I couldn't play the beginning pages. That was soon resolved. He told me what the button was I had to push, and it turns out I was sitting wrong. He told me that I had to practice tonging.

We went through the first few pages of the book I brought to help start out and he said "It's amazing how much you are ahead of the average student!" or something to that meaning. Then he said I should practice some of the pages with articulation over the week. I said "I try to practice twenty minutes a day." He laughed then said "It's like pulling teeth to get some of my other students to practice." We took the CD out of the book and out it into the CD player and I could play along to the song. The song was played very fast and I messed up and had to stop playing. He said "That's O.K. You shouldn't be able to play that fast yet. If you could, that would be great!" I found out what I did wrong though, I have a tendency to not arc my left hand. That pushes down on some buttons making it sound bad.

He left to get a practice sheet and I played the song again , but with no mistakes and as fast as the CD. It turns out I have to use a different reed because the one I'm using got chipped. He told me that I had my reed positioned wrong, well I got that from him. Because he told me the way to position the reed and I had it wrong.

There is a possibility that I will be going to that collage when I get old enough.

Very soon I think I will ask my dad if I can record my playing and put it on my blog.

We are still doing a lot of packing. We ran out of boxes so Dad had to go to the store to get more. My mom's a little angry and confused about why he has to spend $100 on boxes, but I told her we need all the boxes we can get. We have alot of stuff. So far we don't even have one room totally finished.

We're doing the family room now, but it's taking a while. One reason because nobody wants to do it. My dad says we have to do it, then everyso often he goes to his blog. My mom says we have to do it and when we do sometimes she does the laundry. Even I do it sometimes. I say "We have to do it! You guys keep saying we have to do it, now let's pack!" Then I go off and play war or watch T.V. Even bother the cat sometimes.

It's not fun, even depressing at times, but we have to get this packing done. My mom says "Well we have a month" It was two months not to long ago. Soon it will be time to move.

3 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Your sax lesson sounds great. I'm sure that practice is the secret. I'm making a terrible sound but I make sure I spend fifteen minutes a day on it. (I can't manage longer because of not being quite well enough yet.) If you carry on like that we'll all soon be paying to listen to you!

The packing sounds terrible. I know we all got very squabbly when we were moving house a couple of years ago and none of us wanted to do any of the packing. It was tough. I hope you get it sorted.

Wolverine said...

Fifteen minutes a day is good. My instructor told me about three times a week would be best, so fifteen minutes a day should get you playing good soon.

Were doing little by little with the packing. I think we will have it sorted by August 1st.

Bevie said...

"Unless Dad won't let me"

Sounds like you have a creepy dad. I expect you'll be able to.

Packing. Everybody wants it done, but nobody wants to do it. Why does that have a familiar ring to it?

I doubt very much your dad spent $100 on boxes. But boxes are better than blankets.

I once moved by spreading all of my blankets on top of each other in the middle of the living room floor. Then I piled my possessions in the middle, brought the blanket corners together and hauled it about like an old-fashioned hobo.

Boxes are better.